Wednesday 22 July 2009

The genius of Walker Evans



I did a module on American art at uni and I remember being fascinated by the photos Walker Evans took of people living in the dust bowl during the depression, as part of the government's Farm Security Administration and his work Let Us Now Praise Famous Men (buy it here).

I bought a book on him from the Tate Modern months ago but just got around to reading it, and his work was about so much more than those well-known images - he took brilliant street photos, including a series on the underground with a hidden camera, and found hidden meaning in graffiti, signs and all sorts of everyday objects (the one above was taken at Coney Island). Something to aspire to! I wish I could be that good.

A book out this month takes in Henri Cartier-Bresson's work too, another personal hero. Straight to the top of my Christmas list.

No comments:

Post a Comment