Friday 6 February 2009

Hoppity comes to town


I got embarrassingly excited this afternoon - Mark would agree - to find this 1941 cartoon classic on Film 4. It was a rainy day favourite at Finchale and was way ahead of its time in featuring a community of insects whose homes are threatened by developers (similar to Watership Down, another school standby - wonder who the eco-warrior was? Not Mr Chapman I'm sure).

I was even more excited to discover that the song sung during the nightclub scene, pictured, is called Katy Did, Katy Didn't. (Oddly I've just finished reading What Katy Did, more of which later.)

Now if only Film 4 could show Hugo the Hippo too...

2 comments:

  1. Gutted. I'd have put a day's holiday in just to watch it. Let me know if it's repeated so I can get my Mum to 'Sky+' it.

    Also, I seem to recall a weirdly scary psychedelic scene in Hugo The Hippo. I'd very much like to see that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone else remembers it! I saw a DVD copy when I was on holiday last year, but it was dubbed in Croatian so I didn't buy it.

    Hugo the Hippo was really psychedelic, do you mean the bit in the garden? I'd question what sort of drugs the Osmonds wre on when they made it...

    ReplyDelete