Monday 12 October 2009

Jeff Bridges burrito

Watched one of the most disturbingly funny films I've ever seen last night - Tideland, directed by Terry Gilliam and starring Jeff Bridges, Janet McTeer, and the brilliant Jodelle Ferland.

The more I think about it the more I like it - a wonderful study of the innocence of childhood, the ability of children to adapt to difficult situations, and the necessity that imagination plays in dealing with said situations.

The plot veers from one shocker to the next; just when you think it can't get any more disturbing Gilliam throws another curveball at you. But it's beautifully shot, is genuinely touching and funny in places and, despite broaching numerous taboo subjects (human taxidermy, anyone?) it doesn't deserve the claims of paedophilia and child abuse levelled at it by Daily Mail types.

Definitely genius, definitely worth watching (and it led me to Jeff Bridges' excellent personal website, for which I am eternally grateful) but I'm not sure I could sit through it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment